Shatin was an ideal suburb in the prewar period. Many wealthy people were building villas or cottages for vacations purpose. Some well-known places would be Ho Tong Hse located just in front of Lok Lo Ha Tsuen and Ng Garden in front of Jat Min Chuen(Aft of Ecclesia Bible Institute).

Lung Wah Hotel was formally built by Mrs.Chung(Ms Chan Yun Wah). Due to some family affairs with Mr.Chung, she moved out from North Point and settle down in Shatin.

People would call this building "Square House" or "Red House" because of the shape and color of it. The Chung’s couple finally made up so Mrs.Chung moved back to North Point. But they still keep the place for their vacation purpose. They would love to spend some quality time in Shatin during weekends and holidays.

Mr. Chung Sau Cheung ran a bullion business as well as a trading business in Connaught Road West. Mrs. Chung also ran a soap production business called〝紹昌洋行〞. Moreover, they also owned a family business of a restaurant called “China Bing-Sut” in the same street. They then held a house warming dinner in 1939 when they moved in, because they’re so well-known, the house warming dinner held for 3 days.

Not long after moving in, Japanese troops invaded into Hong Kong. "Square House" was being dominated by the Japanese troops. So Mrs. Chung has to stay in Chan’s family place at Ha Wo Che Estate. Mrs.Chung was so pleased with their help and promised Mrs.Chan that they’ll take care of each other. Because of this, Mrs.Chan was hired by Mrs.Chung of working in Lung Wah Hotel after it opened.

Mrs.Chung finally gets the property back after the war, and ran the business as a restaurant. She has this idea of promoting the pigeon dishes as she raised pigeons and there were no such dishes in the restaurants nearby. Proved that she was right. It was a great success and the pigeon dishes become very famous in Shatin with the name – Shatin Pigeons.

In order to keep up the food quality, Mr.Chung specially hired two famous chef brothers – So Chan and So Qiu. Mr.Chung’s third son, Chung Kam Ling then taken over the business in 1960 though he knows nothing about hospitality and running a business.

Chung Kam Ling could only found Ho Pak to help, who was just a man who used to sell fabric after the So Brothers have left. Ho knows nothing about cooking restaurant gourmets. Chung was then draw support of reading the recipes from newspaper column in “The Standard” and “Wen Wei Po”. He managed to translate the recipes from English to Chinese so Ho can follow the instructions. After series of attempts, Ho gradually becomes a famous chef.

Operating the business

Raising pigeons has become a popular business after the war. There were over a hundred of pigeon farms during the period. These pigeons were mostly raise for cooking purpose. After the peak period past in 1952, there were only about 30 pigeon farms left in 1954. They were mainly located in suburbs like Yuen Long, Ping Shan, Tsing Shan, Shatin, Tai Po, Diamond Hill and Wong Chuk Hang.

Since the regime handover in Mainland China in 1949, there were quite a few pigeon farms moved to Hong Kong included "Prototype pigeon farm", "Sun San pigeon farm" in Wong Chuk Hang, "Hub Kuan" in Tai Po, "Wo Ping" in Lam Tei and "Yee Yuen" in Ping Shan. The "Hau Wo Farm" located in Tung Lo Wan Shatin has the longest history among all.

There were so many advantages of running a pigeon farm. Compare to a chicken farm, pigeon farm needs a lot less space. Besides, the chance of pigeons falling ill and spreading diseases is not great. And that the period of hatching pigeons is shorter than chickens. Pigeons can be sold to the market only 18 days old, counting from the day the egg was laid to hatch. That is why the numbers of pigeon farm is growing rapidly.




IntroductionHistoryPigeon CultureLung Wah FoodsNews & EventsVideoGalleryContact Us
Copyright © 2014 Lung Wah Hotel. All rights reserved.